Friday, September 9, 2011

Spectacular Fall Show in Denali

Wow!  I've never seen anything like it!  No, I have not experienced a fall in New England yet...still on the list!  But the fall colors on the tundra sure takes the cake! (Is that even a saying?)  It's just this amazing vibe of color as far as you can see, and not just one shade of red, but infinite shades of red, mauve, orange, yellow, purple, on and on all splashed together perfectly, really hard to describe and hard to capture as well!

I finally made it ALL the way back to Wonder Lake, 11 hours bus ride, 96 miles into Denali, third and final attempt!  Had another free day in the park, so I decided to go for it and just happened to be a gorgeous day with mountain views the whole way in and out!  Which doesn't happen too often!


IMG_3821
Broad Pass, south of Denali National Park
 
_MG_2559_1
The Road to 'The High One'
_MG_2630                                _MG_2535_1
 

I'm glad I had some time up North, because meanwhile down on the Kenai Penninsula, a monsoon/hurricane was taking over (okay not really) but sooo much rain that the Kenai River is flooding and it's hard to get use to flood season in September here!  Luckily the weather has turned for the better, and now I am patiently awaiting the Kenai to turn gold!! I feel like I can't leave, like my season won't be complete until the turning of the leaves!  (and I selfishly just want to see the spectacular fall colors here, where when I first came the lakes were frozen, etc)  We shall see if nature chooses to perform in the next 10 days!  Not that I would wish the already too short summer season to end any sooner then need be, but still...by the way the sun set between 8 and 8:30 last night!

Looking forward to Dave's arrival on the 16th!  We'll spend 4-5 days exploring this area, trying to show him all my favorite places, and then we have a little over 2 weeks total to slowly make our way back down to Montana...can't wait!!  Through the Canadian Rockies, Jasper, Banff, Waterton, and then Glacier Nat Park, all the way down down down to Yellowstone!


Follow Me!!

All in all, what a GREAT summer!  Unbelievable!  Living the dream!  Glad I finally made it happen! This may be the last post of the season, so just wanted to say thanks for 'reading'! 



Climbing Cecil Mt, my back yard! (Actually front yard, back yard is Kenai River)


No comments:

Post a Comment