Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fall is in the Air...

It's true.  Sad but true.  Fresh snow on the peaks up north last week, a chill in the air, tundra plants turning red, trees on the verge of turning gold...coworkers saying goodbye already...and the tell tale sign...fireweed going to seed...


Last blooming fireweed with South and North Peaks of Denali in background

August has brought the most precipitation of the summer so far, however even with a gloomy forecast, clear weather still breaks through every once in awhile!  I had my best views of Denali from our Talkeetna Lodge a few days ago ...and now that the sun is setting at a decent hour (10:30) and rising later, I can actually enjoy the sunset and sunrise for a chance.  I've missed it!



P1010254
Sunset over Mt Foraker, Mt Hunter, and Mt McKinley

P1010262
Sunrise over  Mt Sultana, Mt Beguia, and  Mt Denali (better known as)


_MG_2217
Denali


Even though I haven't been lured into the fishing scene (I went one early morning at 4am, floated in the dark for 1 1/2 hours, watched the boys fish for 45 min, turned my head while they beat the fish silly with a club...(took 4 good wails, must be a slippery fellow) and then proceeded to float right by the brown bear cubs (which is why I went in the 1st place for photography) however we happened to be way to close as the current took us right by them to even think about trying to take a picture... so no thanks to the fishing...but I have enjoyed watching the fish as they turn 'red' and attempting to jump up the falls in the river(where is the brown bear with its mouth gaping open ready to catch the fish???)




_MG_2114
Spawning Sockeye Salmon (say 3 x fast)

_MG_2141
whoo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment