Sunday, June 5, 2011

Happy June!

Happy June!  Hard to believe May has come and gone, and that 1/4 of my Alaskan season has passed...and I have yet to really start work!!!  After 3 weeks of extensive training (learning how to drive the big rig, obtaining  my CDL, and touring the Kenai Penninsula, Anchorage, and Denali) I have now enjoyed a 9-day stretch of time off before I jump into my first tour!

Spring is finally here!  The trees have all  budded, and the plants and flowers are starting to show their presence, and it's  been amazing to watch it all progress! It;s quite fun to have a bunch of nature geeks as your friends and co-workers, I've really been learning my plants and flowers!  Just saw my first chocolate lilies blooming the other day!
 

IMG_3795
Fiddleheads

IMG_3682
 



It's been really nice working for a smaller company...the food here has been really yummy!  And for part of our training, all the safari guides and drivers took a 5 day road trip, to visit all the places we'll be stopping at and working with...but that allowed us to camp in Denali for 2 nights and go for a hike where we had fantastic weather and saw all the 'big game' (bear, caribou, dall sheep, wolves, moose)...and all 10 of us went flight seeing out of Talkeetna, flew around Mt Denali and landed on the Ruth Glacier, without a cloud in the sky!  It was one of the more impressionable 2 hours of my life!  Unbelievable!  Can't wait to do it again!


IMG_1972 2
Mt Foraker, Mt Hunter, Mt Denali
                IMG_2067 - Copy 2
                            IMG_2128




 
After a 9-day stretch of time off, I'm ready to start work tomorrow!  But I sure have had a taste of Alaska this past week...mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, and a raft trip down the 6-Mile River yesterday!
 
For more pictures, I will try to keep my Picassa Web Albums up to date!!

No comments:

Post a Comment